4.12.09

Chanel-inspired jacket

DSC00136

’ve just finished exams so have been getting around to some of the ideas I’ve had over the past few months. This jacket is … ahem, strongly inspired by the classic Chanel tweed jackets that I love so much.
I made this over a few days, using McCall’s pattern 6177 from the 1960s (the packet has gotten damaged over the years and I can’t see exactly… looks like 1961) for a cute little mod jacket. I had to make the pattern smaller to fit me seeing as it was for a size 14, and changed the neckline to the round one I wanted. 
I also used some fabric my mum got a few years ago on sale for $1.50/m, so it only ended up costing me a few bucks including lining.

DSC00143

It’s probably the most complicated thing I’ve ever made, and I’m so pleased with how it turned out! 
It is fully lined in a black fabric that I was told is silk, but I suspect is polyester (either way it is gorgeously smooth and silky), with poly cotton bias binding around the entire thing. The pockets are double welt pockets, and I’m really happy with how well they worked. They sit really nicely and don’t add any bulk.

DSC00137

It has diamond shaped darts to give shape to the back, and darts to shape the shoulders and bust.
I also added some decorative fake cuff slit things and silver buttons

DSC00140

This is the kind of thing I was going for...

Shopping_boxyjackets_KateSpade230 AAAAAlHpj7oAAAAAAV37Sw

I will definitely make more, I’ve made one more jacket since and think I’m hooked. I like the idea of the scalloped edges on this one -

51BqHzZCNVL._AA280_

I can never find jackets to fit me properly, so it’s soo nice to have something custom made to fit perfectly!

I just wish it wasn't the beginning of summer, and that I could actually wear it. In hindsight making a jacket at this time of year was a little bit stupid. But jackets are so fun to make! I think next I'm going to make a simple blazer from a patten I have and then see if I can alter the pattern to make something like these jackets I adored last winter -

Picture 45

No comments:

Post a Comment