17.12.09

new obsessions

il_430xN.40150876
Been a bit obsessed with vintage patterns lately. I love them for several reasons.
Firstly, I love clothing designs from ... well, the 1920s through up until 1980. Not all mind you, but many. At the moment I'm loving 50s and 40s designs, though I'll always have an obsession with 60s mod fashion. I love that one can have access to fashions from before they were born, and can continue to produce them through patterns. I mean, I can make new clothing that was designed in the 50s! I just love that idea. 
I also love that it is easy to find patterns in my size. When I go pattern shopping at Spotlight, none of the patterns that I like (which are few) seem to come in my size. Vintage patterns seem to frequently come in my size. Were people smaller fifty years ago? Or did they just more realistically cater to smaller body types? I sometimes feel that there is a lack of smaller sized clothes and sometimes patterns to deter women from obsessively obtaining a smaller body, through starvation, exercise and what not. I have read on clothing (and one brand of pattern) producers' websites that they stayed away from sizes that promoted an unrealistic and unhealthy body shape.
I find this odd, given that we have any number of shops catering to those who are significantly overweight, which is surely equally unhealthy. Both physically and mentally... both ends of the disordered eating spectrum have mental and physical problems associated with being over- or underweight. 

il_430xN.94291106


Anyway, I've gone rambling off on a tangent as usual.
In the past couple of weeks I've bought these patterns (pictured thoughout post):
- 1965 Simplicity Girls Pattern for a shirt, shorts, skirt.
-1959 McCall's Junior Pattern for a long or short sleeved shirt.
-1963  McCall's Girls Pattern for a dress.
(Although these ones are all for tweens/teens there are several womens' ones I have my eye on.)
I got them on Etsy, which is such a fantastic source of vintage and modern patterns. I can't wait for them to arrive... I can see endless basic button shirts in different colours, prints and fabrics. It will also be a good starting point for variations. 
The same with the dress, tops and skirts.....


il_430xN.35866951


I'm very tempted by these ones too...


il_fullxfull.88551360.jpg

il_430xN.92392283

il_430xN.50773503

il_430xN.106809025

il_430xN.61970300

il_430xN.33450176


Some are gorgeous, but I would have no occasion to wear them... sigh.
And I love love love this cute little panda costume. 
il_430xN.81442939


I also bought some silk habotai and crepe de chine from goldensilks.com - I discovered  this online store through the seller's etsy page. A wonderful selection of colours and weaves, with very reasonable pricing. I can see silk becoming an obsession too.
I suppose there are worse things that can come from obsessions than vintage clothing made out of lovely silk.

PS
Once again, I've been making things but not photographing them! I made my sister a pair of shorts, which were whisked off to wear before I had a chance to snap a picture. Will do a big post of things soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment